What is a Ouija Board?
Today it’s a paranormal communication device currently marketed and sold by Hasbro as a board game. Historically, it’s a method for talking with the dead. Where does this come from? The ancient Chinese as a form of automatic writing starting over 900 years ago.
The modern Ouija uses a board with letters to spell out words, Yes/No for direct questions and even numbers. It uses a Planchette device (the pointer shaped like an upside-down heart) to communicate.
The modern board also has a dark reputation linked with possession, violence and even death. How much of that is true and how much is paranoia?
Some of that paranoia started with the movie The Exorcist: the story of a young girl being possessed by a demon. The movie shows the possession starting with the girl using a Ouija alone. The movie itself was fiction, but is based on a true story.
What happened in The Exorcist is not true, but the Ouija is not without danger, such as…
It’s a focal point of energy from a group of people. This creates a buildup, all of which is not nice and positive that can build up and take over a session. Whether from the ghosts who carry it, like chains behind Jacob Marley in A Christmas Carol, or from a person in the group who had a stressful day.
But what is clear, the Ouija Board is not a tool of the devil, but instead a communication device that has it’s roots in the most ancient methods of energy manipulation, giving us a better understanding of the “other side”.
If you are thinking about trying to communicate with the spirits using a Ouija board is a fairly easy way to begin your exploration.
Some people are really nervous about using a Ouija or talking board for spiritual communications.
There is a concern that using a Ouija board could possibly be an invitation for dark forces to enter into the room. The use of Ouija or any other mediumship aid does warrant caution. Really, think about it. Do you leave your front door unlocked at all times? Or is there a neon sign out in your front lawn flashing 24/7 beckoning every stranger who walks past your street to step inside your home?
When you wish to communicate with the spirit world via the Ouija or another channel (automatic writing, visualizations, thought, etc.) it is best to be specific about “who” you are wishing to receive communications from. If you didn’t like to hang around with Uncle Jimmy when he was living, then you’re not likely going to be thrilled hearing from him beyond the grave either. Intention is key!
How to Use a Ouija Board:
I’ve listed below a few do’s and don’ts for using the Ouija Board – Ouija Etiquette if you will…
Ouija Board Do’s
- Do darken the room and entice the spirits to visit by lighting some candles.
- Do avoid possible distractions by turning off the television, cell phones, etc.
- Do balance the board upon your knees if possible.
- Do warm up the board by moving the planchette in circles or figure eight pattern.
- Do be specific about who you wish to communicate with (Aunt Mary, personal spirit guide, Ascended Master, etc.)
- Do be cordial to your spirit guests, although it is okay to ask them to leave if they are rude guests (using foul language, taunting you or your seance guests, etc.)
- Do write down the messages letter by letter. Spirits often misspell, use slang, or will even txt speak.
- Do have fun!
Ouija Board Don’ts
- Do not use the Ouija board by yourself, it is best to get a buddy to assist you.
- Do not confuse the spirit with questions from too many people, assign one person in the room to ask questions.
- Do not ask questions you don’t want to know the answer to such as “When am I going to die?” You’re not going to get a serious answer to these types of questions.
- Do not ask questions you already know the answer to like “What is my middle name?” It’s a seance, not a pop quiz!
- Do not allow the invited spirit guest to control the session, you want answers, not a lecture.
- Do not accept all communications as fact, discern all information given. Only accept what feels accurate in your gut.
- Do not be upset if your seance is a bust, sometimes spirits don’t feel like talking.